Sep 28, 2016
St. John’s, NL: Today, the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation was joined by the Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Honourable Frank Fagan, and Her Honour, Patricia Fagan, as well as the Honourable Dwight Ball, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador as they officially re-opened the Garden of Hope at the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre.
The Garden of Hope was first opened by the Foundation in 1997 to provide a sanctuary of natural beauty and serenity for cancer patients and their families during their visits to the Cancer Centre. After almost twenty years of use, the Garden of Hope was in desperate need of renovation. Since the Garden of Hope is utilized by thousands of cancer patients and their families each year– the Cancer Care Foundation felt that it was an important investment for funds raised through the generosity of donors. In 2014, The Hope Ball was held to raise the funds need for the Garden revitalization project.
“Today, we are pleased to re-open the Garden of Hope at the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre,” said Gary Smith, Chairman of the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation, “This space will be used by thousands of cancer patients and their family members during visits to the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre for chemotherapy, radiation or oncologists visits. The Garden can provide a beautiful escape during a stressful time. This project represents a significant investment by the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation.”
The new Garden of Hope also features a Tribute Wall where donors can purchase a leaf, butterfly or bird in honour or in memory of loved ones. “The Tribute Wall is something that donors have asked for to recognize and honour their loved ones who have had their own cancer journeys,” said Lynette Hillier, Executive Director of the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation. “We are pleased that we were able to incorporate this Tribute Wall into the new Garden of Hope as a way to honour our family members and friends in such a meaningful way.”
– 30 –
About the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation
The Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation is a registered charity raising funds to support the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre in St. John’s, Cancer Centres located in Gander, Grand Falls-Windsor and Corner Brook along with chemotherapy delivery sites around Newfoundland and Labrador. Funds raised purchase cancer treatment equipment, comfort equipment like blanket warmers; and fund a range of support programs to assist cancer patients and their families at various points on their cancer journey.
- The Garden of Hope at the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Centre is officially reopened for cancer patients and their families.
- The Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation invested over $200,000 to rebuild the retaining walls of the Garden of Hope along with new furniture, arbour, brick flooring and landscaping.
- The Cancer Care Foundation is pleased to have a new Tribute Wall as a feature within the Garden of Hope. A place to celebrate or remember a loved one while supporting cancer care.
- The next installment of orders for 2016 for the Garden of Hope Tribute Wall are now being accepted. Deadline for ordering is Tuesday, October 11, 2016. Visit www.cancercarefoundaiton.nl.ca to order.
- All funds raised by the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation stay right here in Newfoundland and Labrador in support of cancer care in our province.
Every dollar raised here. Stays here.
For more information, contact:
Lynette Hillier, Executive Director
Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation
Phone: (709) 631-9975